Mailbag Question From A Court Reporter... Which Agency To Work For?
From my mailbox this weeks comes a question from a newly licensed CSR inquiring about which court reporting firms are reputable...
This e-mail is for Todd Olivas. My name is ##### #####. I was a student at South Coast College, and I was also in class one of the days he came and spoke to the school. I passed the CSR in 2006, and I have been working in the L.A. area. I am writing today because I have some questions regarding finding the right agency and some other questions regarding agencies.
-New CSR in LA
Dear New CSR in LA:
Thank you for writing to me. First off, a huge CONGRATULATIONS for completing the monstrous task of becoming a CSR. :) Way to go! telephone. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!
- You have a CSR license!
- Court Reporters are in huge demand!
- You live in one of the busiest litigation hubs in the United States! (Los Angeles)
- You're smart enough to ask people's advice about what to do next. (If only everyone did that)
- What kind of work/clients do they have?
- As a new reporter, do they provide lots of TLC in the beginning?
- What are their rates? Not only page rates but late cancellation fees, appearances, waiting time, mileage, per diems, after hours...
- When are the pay dates and cut off times?
- Do they have integrity within the industry? (Ask for court reporter references)
Tuesday, August 28, 2007